Monday, November 10, 2008

Weekend of Florida Beaches & Wetlands



I don't get down to Florida quite as often as my parents might like, but I must admit it was really nice to escape the city for some warmth and quality time with family this past weekend--happy 91st birthday Grandma!

I also always try to hit one or more of the wildlife reserves in the Palm Beach area. This weekend, I visited the Wakodahatchee Wetlands, a great place to see over 140 species of birds, and if you're lucky, an alligator or two.

I also spent time at my in-laws apartment on the beach in Boca (yes, they have a place down there too.) Getting up at the crack of dawn and stepping out on the balcony pays dividends when trying to photograph a great sunrise. And a morning walk along the beach is just the right time to capture some solitude before eager beach-goers make their way on to the sand.

A couple of lessons learned this weekend: One again, I STILL need to get that lens shade (it affected a few sunrise photos.) And when shooting wildlife with a zoom lens (or any lens for that matter), be sure to focus on the eyes to keep the most important aspect of your subject in focus. Unfortunately, with a shallow depth of field, I had a few great shots of plumage with eyes, heads, and necks out of focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment